The Hamilton-Sangamo Corporation was formed in 1929 by the Hamilton Watch Company and the Sangamo Electric Company of Springfield, Illinois to market a new line of electric clocks.
Miller, vice-president, left Lancaster to become its general manager.
Cain of Springfield, Massachusetts represented the Aurora interests.
The electric current necessary to operate one 100-watt bulb for one minute could run an electric watch for 20 years.
The Hamilton Electrics featured not only a revolutionary movement design, but also were known for their avant garde styling, making them among the most collectible watches today.
Also during the mid-fifties Hamilton embarked on a program of expansion and diversification.
In that year, the Hamilton Watch Company came into existence as a result of yet another reorganization. Based on the super-reliable 992B with Elinvar hairspring and mono-metallic balance, the Mod 23 adds a chronograph mechanism, making it one of the most complicated watches produced by Hamilton.
The name, Hamilton, was selected to honor Andrew Hamilton, original owner of the Lancaster site on which the factory was situated. Hamilton has always been on the forefront of horological innovation.
In fulfilling the railroads' requirements for accuracy, it also filled the needs of the general public for a timepiece of high quality.
Grant was President of the United States and Conestoga wagons creaked their way along the Lancaster Turnpike, as citizens heeded the call of Horace Greely to "Go West." Another form of pioneer was building a factory in the pastoral community of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. American soldiers during World War I preferred the smaller size and convenience of the wristwatch to the "old-fashioned" pocket watches.
The Adams and Perry Watch Company was built right beside the turnpike. They brought skilled watchmakers to Lancaster and began production in 1875. This trend caused a major shift in American watch production, with a new emphasis on producing wristwatch models for both men and women.
The Lancaster Watch Company continued to suffer growing pains and was reorganized again in 1884, this time as the Keystone Standard Watch Company. The first Hamilton chronometers were delivered to the Navy in February 1942, and at their peak Hamilton was making 500 chronometers per month!
Nevertheless, the financial problems persisted until 1892. Hamilton Model 23 Military Chronograph was widely used during WWII as a navigator's "stop-watch".